The Five Torquays were the band that, under a different name with identical personnel, became the Monks, making one of the most famed cult rock albums of all time in 1966. Before adopting the name the Monks, they were known as the Five Torquays, forming when all of the members were American musicians stationed at an army base in Gelnhausen, Germany, near Frankfurt. After getting out of the army in 1964, they remained in Germany, playing shows consisting mostly of rock covers. However, they began to write stranger, original material with primitive musical backing and odd, minimalist lyrics.
While they were still the Five Torquays, they recorded a rare German single, "There She Walks"/"Boys Are Boys," for the SCH label. Both are simple originals with early American R&B and faint British Invasion influences, and aren't as strange as what they would write and record as the Monks, although "Boys Are Boys" was re-recorded for their only album in tougher, more off-the-wall form. The 1965 single is extremely rare -- only 500 to 1000 were pressed -- but both sides were reissued on the Monks' Five Upstart Americans album, which otherwise consists of Monks demos recorded prior to the sessions for their sole official LP. The Five Torquays changed their name to the Monks later in 1965, and never released anything else under their original name.