The Old Hall Manuscript is the single most important source manuscript of English Polyphony before the sixteenth century. It is referred to as the "Old Hall" as until 1973 it was housed at the College of Edmund in Old Hall, which is near Ware in Hertfordshire, England. It originated in the private chapel of Thomas of Lancaster, Duke of Clarence, where the "old layer" was begun between 1410 and 1415, and then moved to the Chapel Royal where its new owner King Henry V is believed to have added two of his own works to it under the name "Roy Henry." The new layer was compiled from that time until at least 1422, and blank leaves in the volume were used for a few pieces afterward, including a single work of John Dunstaple added anonymously. It is not known how the Old Hall escaped Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries, which resulted in ...
Read Full Biography