On May 16, 1983, a special honoring the 25th anniversary of Motown Records aired on NBC featuring Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross and the Supremes, the Temptations and the Four Tops. This cast of future Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees would have been more than enough to carry the weight of the broadcast, but then Michael Jackson had to go and sing "Billie Jean," and during the guitar break, dug out an old but largely unknown dance move that made him appear to be gliding backwards while walking. The crowd went absolutely ballistic and the move would define Jackson's on-stage presence going forward, and every career retrospective would feature excerpts from the performance, which was broadcast as Motown 25 – Yesterday, Today, Forever.
Now, for the first time, the special is available on digital home media, and we're giving away a copy of the six-disc deluxe edition (there will also be three-disc and single-disc versions available at retail) to one lucky AllMusic reader. Read on to find out how to enter for a chance win.
One winner will receive: one copy of the Motown 25 – Yesterday, Today, Forever six-DVD Deluxe Edition.
It's easy to enter to win. Just choose ONE of the two options below, and you're entered.
1) Log in with your AllMusic account—or sign up if you aren't already a user—and comment on this post with the name of the CITY and the STATE from where you're reading AllMusic. Be sure to register with an email address you check regularly, because that's how we'll notify you if you are selected.
2) Mail us a letter or postcard with the name of the CITY and the STATE from where you're reading AllMusic, plus your contact info (email address, Twitter handle, or phone number) to AllMusic HQ, postmarked by Friday, August 29.
ATTN: Motown 25 Giveaway
206 S. Main St., #225
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Or if you know you need this set in your life regardless of our contest, pre-orders of the 6-DVD edition of 'Motown 25 - Yesterday, Today, Forever' can be made via Time Life.
• Giveaway begins Tuesday, August 26. Winners will be selected on Friday, September 5.
• Winner will be contacted via the contact info they provided, so be sure to register with a valid email address that you check regularly.
• If no response is received from winner within 72 hours, a new winner will be drawn from the pool of candidates.
• Must have a United States mailing address (due to taxes, customs regulations, and the complexity of international sweepstakes rules).
• Must be over 13 years of age to enter.
• One entry per household.
Are you a publicist or manager looking to do a giveaway through AllMusic? Drop us a line: email@example.com.