The Budapest Chamber Symphony is an offshoot of the Hungarian National Philharmonic Orchestra, located in Budapest. The orchestra itself was founded in 1923 as the Fövárosi Zekenkar or Municipal Orchestra and was renamed Állam Hangversenyzenekar or Hungarian State Symphony Orchestra in 1952. (It received its present name in 1997.)
In 1985, the leading members of the orchestra and other top chamber music players of Budapest formed the Budapest Chamber Symphony, which has taken its place on the busy chamber music scene of the Hungarian capital. It participated in the Budapest Music Center tribute to the composer and great chamber music teacher Leó Weiner on a two-disc set of Weiner's music.