Snoop Dogg

Snoop Dogg Presents Doggy Style Allstars: Welcome to tha House, Vol. 1

  • AllMusic Rating
    5
  • User Ratings (0)
  • Your Rating

AllMusic Review by

Technically, Welcome to tha House, Vol. 1 is a compilation. Different rappers -- most of them from the West Coast -- are heard on different tracks, and Snoop Dogg is only one of the many MCs who are featured. But for all intents and purposes, Welcome to tha House, Vol. 1 is a Snoop album. Snoop's stamp is all over this 2002 release, which spotlights several rappers who signed with his Los Angeles-based Doggy Style Records (including Mr. Kane, E-White, and Soopafly) but also features various guests who weren't part of the Doggy Style roster -- and those guests range from RBX to Lady of Rage to Special Ed. Although Snoop is featured on many of the tunes, he isn't featured on all of them. But whatever rapper gets on the mike, Snoop's influence usually comes through in a major way. This is true whether the distinctive gangsta rapper is teaming up with RBX and Mr. Kane on "The Strong Will Eat the Weak" or Soopafly and E-White on "Hey You." However, there are a few times when Welcome to tha House, Vol. 1 gets away from its West Coast gangsta rap/G-funk orientation. Urban contemporary singer Latoiya Williams, a Doggy Style signing, is featured on "Fallen Star" and "It Feelz Good" -- both of which have a neo-soul outlook and a strong Aretha Franklin influence. Although about 85 percent of this CD is West Coast gangsta rap, the other 15 percent is straight-up R&B -- and that's where Williams and singer Vinnie Bernard (who is heard on the haunting "Trouble") come in. Welcome to tha House, Vol. 1 is slightly uneven; some of the tunes are more memorable than others. But there are more ups than downs, and even though this 78-minute CD isn't essential, Snoop's hardcore fans will probably want a copy anyway.

Track Listing

Sample Title/Composer Performer Time
1
feat: Mac Minister
0:40
2 5:00
3
feat: E-White / RBX / Soopafly
2:59
4
3:05
5 4:26
6
feat: E-White / RBX
3:43
7
feat: Mr. Kane
3:32
8
feat: Soopafly
2:41
9
feat: E-White / Soopafly
4:37
10 3:59
11 4:29
12 3:41
13
feat: Mr. Kane / RBX
3:59
14 4:31
15
5:31
16 3:58
17
3:45
18 4:56
19 4:52
20
feat: Mr. Kane / RBX / Soopafly
4:11
blue highlight denotes track pick